Our BeginningsIn 1944 the citizens of Kimball voted on a bond issue for $90,000. After the bond passed, it took several years to accumulate the manpower and material to assure construction. Kimball Health Services began operation on August 21, 1950, at a cost of $223,000, financed with the bond issue, Hill-Burton funds, and philanthropic resources. From this modest beginning, KHS has grown into a modern, efficient medical facility, serving patients and their families throughout western Nebraska, eastern Wyoming and northeastern Colorado.
Rural Health ClinicKimball Health Services Clinic opened its doors in September of 1996. It is a provider-based Certified Rural Health Clinic and is staffed with two full-time physicians and two physician assistants. All the Clinic staff are employees of the Hospital, which owns the Clinic.
The Clinic provides family practice coverage to our community. The Clinic has extended hours in order to serve the working family needs of our community. Besides regular office hours, the clinic is also open on Saturdays.
Facility RenovationsThe year 2000 marked Kimball Health Services' 50th anniversary. We are proud to celebrate over 50 Years of Caring. To continue to meet the increasing and future medical needs of Kimball County and the service area in the most efficient and cost effective manner, the Hospital undertook an Expansion and Renovation Project at that time. In March of 2000, the citizens of Kimball voted on a bond issue for $2,330,000. Construction commenced in October 2000 and was completed in May of 2002.
2002 Construction Project Summary:A $2.33 million project to renovate the existing hospital and construct two new wings onto the west side.
Major changes included:
The hospital clinic moved on-site with 12 exam rooms
A second, modern trauma room
An outpatient surgical prep & recovery ward with five beds
Space for rehabilitation has been doubled
Hospice and respite inpatient care rooms
Better exam rooms & office space for visiting specialist clinics
11 state-of-the-art medical/surgical beds added